Meet Emma. Having joined the indie Travel team a couple of months ago, although this date was the start of a new and exciting journey for her, the date is one her memory regrets to remember.
Emma likes to think that her start at indie came from a “right place, right time” scenario; our very own Janice did a presentation at one of her lectures.
Emma had all the right questions, and Janice had all the answers. So soon enough, they arranged to (virtually) meet and discuss each other’s pets in detail… obviously.
Luckily, since starting her work alongside arguably the coolest bosses ever (it’s part of the contract to claim this!), there have been plenty of exciting dates to keep in mind. Some highlights in Emma’s indie Travel journey are her debut article which you can read here (shameless plug), and her contribution to the relaunch of Travel Massive in Glasgow, which indie Travel hosted. So without further ado, it’s time for one of our team’s newest members to introduce herself… go ahead, Emma!
An anxious lass, I have constantly worried about my place in the world. However, this has failed to rob me of my curiosity surrounding this floating rock we call home, nor my determination to put my mark on it. This curiosity has taken me down several different routes and, despite my (arguably) young age, I have tried my hand at what is probably a ridiculous number of things. Namely,
- I have created, promoted, and managed live events for a record and PR label.
- I have managed and hosted charity events.
- And finally, I have sold nuts and bolts for a living.
Although all my different ventures have contributed to the vast, crazy, and colourful jigsaw that makes up my life, I have felt that something is missing across each of them. I discovered that this niggling feeling in my mind palace was the lack of freedom, the inability to leave my mark and, more importantly, make a difference. Plus, like most people, the only travel I’d had in recent years had been the title of my ‘travel & tourism’ course. So, how could I combine the ability to have a bit more freedom, make an impact, and travel all in one? Cue indie Travel, where our mission is to move the industry through innovation and community, of course!
Six things about me. Because six is the best number.
- You will never come across somebody more excitable over sharks (and probably marine life in general) than me. I am a water baby before I am human.
- I was a musical theatre kid, and whenever I use my voice box to sing – even if it’s poorly executed at the helm of a karaoke mic – I am filled with nostalgia and a deep urge to return!
- I am a gluten-free queen and love trying new foods, meaning I am willing to risk it all for that pizza with obscure toppings.
- I love some spirituality and have a vast collection of crystals. So mind your business if you catch me making all my decisions based on what my Tarot deck tells me!
- Nothing pleases me more than a last-minute trip to a new place; I am nothing if not spontaneous!
- I will, without fail, be the most nervous person at airport security. Of course, I’m innocent, but I will make myself look the total opposite out of fear.
Thanks a million, Emma, and welcome to team indie Travel!